115 steakhouses across South Africa competed in the The Wolftrap Steakhouse Championships 2016 to win the accolade as South Africa’s Steakhouse Champion for this year, and Johannesburg’s The Local Grill in Parktown North walked off with the top honour (for the third time in four years).
The winner from last year, Little Havana (based in Umhlanga Rocks, KZN) hosted the awards evening on Tuesday 21 June where the 2016 Top Eight Steakhouses winners were announced. Owner of Little Havana, Martin Lombaard, and his team pulled out all the stops to impress serving a delicious four-course lunch, accompanied by delicious The Wolftrap wine.
Steve Maresch, owner of The Local Grill in Parktown North, was justifiably thrilled with the results. “We did not expect this honour in a year where we’ve experienced the worst drought in 100 years, and especially after our main competitor, Little Havana, treated us all to a steak extravaganza of note today. We pay homage to the bovine and are extremely grateful for this recognition, thanks to the support of our loyal patrons, the judges and The Wolftrap wine.”
Local food celebrity and uber-chef Pete Goffe-Wood said the judges were very pleased with the growth of the competition. “Our steakhouses just get better year after year. One thing that really stood out for us was the vast improvement in the quality and variety of the veggies served on the side. However, we do feel that there’s room for improvement when it comes to the fries and the sauces served. We congratulate the 2016 finalists, especially the top three, for their immense effort, the public for their enthusiastic participation and The Wolftrap wine for their phenomenal support.”
So if you’re looking for a great steak in the near future, you may want to examine this list and book your space now.
The winning steakhouses for 2016 are:
- Winner: The Local Grill, Parktown North, Johannesburg – Gauteng (2013, 2014 and 2016 champion)
- Runner-up: Little Havana, Umhlanga Rocks – KwaZulu Natal (2015 champion)
- 3rd place: The Godfather, Centurion, Pretoria – Gauteng
- 4th place: Longhorn Grill, Bloemfontein – Free State
- 5th place: Havana Grill, Durban – KwaZulu Natal
- 6th place: The Cricketer, East London – Eastern Cape
- 7th place: The Grumpy Griller, George – Western Cape
- 8th place: Cattle Baron, Mossel Bay – Western Cape