Massive Durban beachfront clean-up underway after waves batter infrastructure

A massive clean-up at Durban’s beachfront took place on Monday after a large wave on Sunday, caused destruction and battered the promenade.

Disaster management teams assessed the damage at the popular holiday destination on Monday, which were lead by MEC for Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs, Bongi Sithole-Moloi and eThekwini chairperson for the Community Services Committee, Councillor Zama Sokhabase.

The cost of damage was still being determined, Sithole-Moloi said. Sithole-Moloi added that rough seas on Sunday had damaged some of the infrastructure along eThekwini’s coastline. Unusually high swells, caused by strong south-westerly winds resulted in the waves washing over the promenade.

“We have taken stock of the damage and we deployed additional teams to speedily restore the situation back to normality,” she said. “We are grateful that the worst is over. However, we will continue to monitor the situation.”

Sokhabase said officials of the Durban solid waste and the parks department were cleaning up debris and litter that had washed up on the promenade and in the car park. All Durban beaches including Battery, Country Club and eThekwini would remain inaccessible, while a 24-hour patrol had been put in place in the interests of safety.

Director of Mochachos at the beachfront, Yaseen Amod, said the restaurant had been flooded.

“Waves came over barriers, stairs and came into our store. We watched it come into the store. All of our equipment was submerged in water. It was complete chaos. We are looking at estimated costs of R2.5m,” said Amod.

 

–News24

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *