Ian Rydin, General Manager: Radisson Blu Hotel Nairobi, Upper Hill, shared his tips on what to do and where to go in Nairobi with our contributor Joseph Maina on his recent trip to the East African gem.
What to see
- The Karen Blixen Museum is a must-see, depicting the life of Karen Blixen, on whom the award-winning movie Out of Africa was based.
- Enjoy an exhilarating wildlife experience at the Nairobi National Park, which is minutes away from the city.
- The David Sheldrick’s Elephant Centre and the Giraffe Centre offer close encounters with wildlife.
- Nairobi National Museum offers insight into the city’s rich history and cultural heritage.
Where to eat
- Chop House is a sophisticated restaurant with a speciality in steaks & seafood.
- Carnivore Famous among tourists for its exotic selection of meat, which includes that of wild animals.
- Talisman The most popular restaurant in Nairobi, it blends fine dining with unbridled eclecticism.
- Mama Rock Mama Rocks is pioneering the Nairobi street food scene with an afro-cool food truck like no other.
- J’s Fresh Bar This popular bar serves top-quality pub food.
- The Maasai Market The market is a bustling, colourful and loud experience and the ideal place to find authentic Kenyan jewellery, art, fashion and souvenirs.
- A Matatu ride: Nairobi’s matatus take public transport to a new level with powerful sound systems, elaborate lighting shows and giant flatscreen TVs are part of the ride.
- Ocean Sole Passionate about the ocean, this company recycles washed-up flip flops into fun, colourful merchandise. Its public tours are fun and interactive.