Whether you are a novice or a master, when it comes to dim sum, you will enjoy the book, DIM SUM: Small Bites Made Easy, by twins Helen and Lisa Tse. The book contains all the dim sum classics with easy-to-follow steps and illustrations so you can produce dishes with the finesse of a chef. If you’re already a pro and know how to do it all, the gorgeous images will no doubt delight and inspire you to greater culinary heights.
Learn to make har gow, siu mai, cha siu bao and cheung fun, among many others. The dishes vary from easy to difficult, so you can slowly gain experience with every dish that you make.
The titles of the dishes in this book tell you exactly what the dish is, so you won’t struggle to figure out what you are cooking. For example, there are recipes for pork & prawn dumplings, steamed buns with spicy minced pork, leek & aubergine, steamed pork rib meat with black beans, duck with super-foods in a filo basket and Chinese-style fish balls in a homemade broth.
DIM SUM: Small Bites Made Easy retails at R345. It is published by Kyle Books and distributed in South Africa by Jacana Media.
ABOUT HELEN AND LISA TSE
Helen and Lisa Tse are the third generation of restaurateurs in their family, with a restaurant in Manchester that was opened in 2004. Since winning an investment for their range of Sweet Mandarin gluten-free, vegan sauces on BBC’s Dragon’s Den, they have released the Sweet Mandarin Cookbook and been awarded MBEs in the New Year Honours List for services to the food and drink sector.
Photographs by: Gareth Morgans
Once you’ve tried a few of the fantastic recipes in the book, you may be inspired to visit a few places that specialise in dim sum in South Africa, here are a few Sawubona favourites:
- So Yum in Hyde Park is famed for its variety of dim sum. The food is authentic and tasty. They are also known for their cocktails. Visit
- Koi Restaurant in Rosebank is popular for its sushi because of its unique combinations. It also offers great dim sum.
- Regal Palace is an authentic Chinese restaurant found in Linksfield. Their dim sum is highly recommended. Find them at 110 Linksfield Road, Linksfield, or call 011 443 3353.
- Beluga at the Waterfall Corner in Midrand is known for its dim sum. Try the har gau (steamed dumplings) in spinach and cream cheese
CAPE TOWN & WINELANDS
- Erawan (Wynberg) is a popular restaurant famed for its excellent Thai food. They also serve dim sum and come highly recommended.
- Kitima (Hout Bay) is famed for its Thai dishes and sushi. The Sunday lunch buffet is highly recommended, as well as their dim sum.Genki in Stellenbosch is a sushi and tapas bar. It also offers dim sum so this is the perfect place if you have a love for both.
- Genki in Stellenbosch is a sushi and tapas bar. It also offers dim sum so this is the perfect place if you have a love for both
- China Plate in Umgeni is a family-friendly Chinese restaurant with an array of dim sum. Other chefs frequent this eatery so it is definitely a must-try.
- Nam Jai House in Empangeni is a Thai and sushi restaurant with a wide variety of choices when it comes to sushi. They also serve dim sum. They stand out for their quality dishes.