Spring is on its way, and what better way to celebrate than by booking a day of pampering at a gorgeous South African spa? Here are seven of the best:
1. In KwaZulu-Natal, The Oyster Box Hotel has an award-winning spa in a beautiful location in Umhlanga along the North Coast. The hammam spa treatment is a popular choice and there are also couples treatments on offer. In addition, a stroll along the promenade before or after your treatment or time spent around the candy-striped pool area with a cocktail in hand is bound to lift your spirits in a heartbeat.
2. The Saxon Villas & Spa in Johannesburg is a tranquil spot close to Sandton, one of Jozi’s ever-expanding business and entertainment districts. The award-winning hotel is surrounded by gorgeous gardens and the spa is a perfect hideaway for an afternoon of pampering. For something a little different, try the Tibetan sound therapy room…
3. Cape Town is a well-known wellness destination, and the Spa at The Twelve Apostles Hotel has won numerous awards and accolades. There is nothing to beat a massage in an outdoor gazebo among the fynbos, with a view of the mountains and the Atlantic Ocean.
4. The One&Only Cape Town Spa is in a league of its own. Here you can explore the sumptuous ‘spa island’ in the shadow of gorgeous Table Mountain. A range of special treatments is on offer, and you might want to indulge in a Bastien Gonzalez Mani Pedi – said to be one of the best beauty treatments on the planet.
5. Bushmans Kloof Wellness and Wildlife Retreat (around 3 hours from the Mother City) is the perfect option for nature-lovers. Regular retreats are held at this spa, which focuses on getting back in touch with the natural elements and truly unwinding. Guests can enjoy hikes into the Cederberg Mountains and explorations of ancient rock art in surrounding caves.
6. Babylonstoren Garden Spa: Designer spas don’t get more gorgeous than this. There are a range of treatments on offer to re-unite you with your inner chi. Take the time to stroll around the gardens after your treatments and book a luncheon at the legendary Babel Restaurant.
That’s our list of six of the best, but the added bonus is that you can also visit any one of the top lodges in the country for a unique spa experience. There’s nothing better than being pampered to the hilt after spending a few hours out in the bush looking for game…
7. Bush Spas: The top lodges in South Africa all boast some form of spa offering – even if it’s having a massage on the deck of your luxury suite as you overlook the bush veld. Five-star lodges, including Lion Sands, Ulusaba Private Game Reserve, Singita, Sabi Sabi and Royal Malewane, all have excellent spas – just one more wonderful thing to experience on your South African bush safari.